How to check your AirPods’ battery life on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac
- You can check your AirPods’ battery on any paired Apple device.
- On an iPhone or iPad, you can check your AirPods’ battery life by opening the case or adding a special widget.
- If your AirPods are connected to a Mac, you can see their battery life in the Bluetooth menu.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Oh, AirPods — maybe Apple’s best product since the iPhone. They’re cordless, convenient, and cool. But while they definitely up your style game, the sleek design can make it difficult to figure out how much battery they have left.
Thankfully, you can check your AirPods battery at any time using a paired iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Here’s how.
Quick tip: If you don’t have a paired device, you can sort-of check the battery life by looking at the LED light on the front of your AirPods case. If it flashes green, either the case or AirPods inside are fully charged. If it’s orange, they’re not full.https://730ddbc496e4422d4c11550c263819f9.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
How to check your AirPods’ battery on an iPhone or iPad
You can use either of these methods once you’ve paired your AirPods with your iPhone or iPad at least once.
Opening the case
1. Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone or iPad. You can do this through the Control Center or the Settings menu.
Quick tip: You can open the Control Center on an iPad or new iPhone by swiping down from the top-right corner of the screen. If your iPhone has a physical Home button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen instead.
2. Hold your AirPods case, with the AirPods inside, near the iPhone/iPad and open the case.
3. A pop up should appear at the bottom of the screen. It’ll show the battery life of the AirPods and their case.
Using the battery widget
If you want to see your AirPods’ battery life while you’re wearing them, you can use the battery widget on your widget page.
1. On your iPhone or iPad’s first Home page, swipe to the right to access your widgets.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap Edit, then tap the plus icon at the top-left corner of the screen.
3. Go to the bottom of the widgets list and tap Batteries, then choose how big you want the widget to be.
4. Place your widget, then tap Done in the top-right corner.
Now you’ll see your AirPods’ battery life on the widget page, as well as the battery percentage of your iPhone and any other connected devices (like an Apple Watch).
How to check your AirPods’ battery on a Mac
If your AirPods are paired with your Mac, you can view their battery life from the desktop. If they’re in their case when you do this, just remember to open the case.
1. In the menu bar at the top of your Mac’s screen, click either the Bluetooth icon or the speaker icon.
Quick tip: If you don’t see the Bluetooth icon, you might need to enable it in the System Preferences menu. And if your AirPods are connected, your speaker icon will be replaced by an AirPods icon.
2. Select the AirPods, and you’ll see the battery life for each earbud and the case.
Christine KopaczewskiChristine Kopaczewski is a Philadelphia-based freelance lifestyle writer. When she’s not writing, she’s playing with her Scottish Terrier puppy or exploring the east coast with her British husband. Her previous work has been published by Good Housekeeping, PureWow, and Yahoo.Read moreWilliam AntonelliEditor & Staff Writer for Tech ReferenceWilliam Antonelli is a writer and editor based in New York City. As Editor of Insider’s Tech Reference vertical and a founding member of the Reference team, he’s helped grow Tech Reference from humble beginnings into a juggernaut that attracts over 20 million visits a month. You can find him on Twitter @DubsRewatcher, or reach him by email at email@example.com.Read more