You can now see incredible sunsets from Governors Island
Written by Shaye WeaverFriday July 1 2022
There’s a new spot in NYC to take in the gorgeous summer sunsets—it’s on Governors Island.
Starting today, July 1, through October 31, the island’s historic Soissons Landing and its bars and restaurants will be open late every night of the week. Previously, the last ferry off the island typically left before the sun set.
The area will be open until 10pm Sunday through Thursday, and until 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays so that visitors can enjoy delicious food and drink from Island Oyster, Taco Vista and Gitano Island, and stay later at QC NY Spa.
(While Soissons Landing will be open until 10pm, all other areas on Governors Island will close at regularly posted public hours—10pm on Fridays and Saturdays through September 3, and 6pm Sunday through Thursday.)
“There really is no better place to spend a summer evening than Governors Island,” said Clare Newman, President & CEO of The Trust for Governors Island, in an official statement. “With unparalleled waterfront views, delicious food and drinks, unique amenities, and peaceful picnic spots, Soissons Landing has something for everyone. We are thrilled to announce these expanded public hours and can’t wait to welcome our visitors to the best place to catch the sunset in New York City.”
This is the logical next step for Governors Island, which announced last year that it’d be open year-round. It’s exciting to see the island transform into a destination with fun things to do and great restaurants—it’s a completely different vibe from its sobering military past.
Here’s what you need to know about getting to and from the island:
- Evening ferries to Governors Island run from the Battery Maritime Building in Lower Manhattan until the last ferry at 8:15pm Sunday through Thursday, and 9:15pm on Friday and Saturday.
- The last ferry off of the Island departs at 10pm Sunday through Thursday and 11pm on Friday and Saturday.
- Round-trip ferry tickets cost $4 for adults. Governors Island ferries are always free for children 12 and under, seniors 65 and up, residents of NYCHA, IDNYC holders, current and former military service members, and Governors Island members. Ferries before noon on Saturdays and Sundays are free for all.
- NYC Ferry also serves Governors Island weekdays on the South Brooklyn route and weekends via a dedicated shuttle from Pier 11/Wall Street. NYC Ferry does not serve Governors Island after 5:19pm on weekdays and 5:42pm on weekends.
- Shaye Weaver Editor, Time Out New York