Once you’ve figured out how to use your Apple Watch to meet your needs, you may find you’ll filled it with apps you never use. This tells you how to get rid of the excess. Best of all is to open your Watch App on your iPhone, tap Settings, General, and turn off Automatic App Install. Much better to make a choice to install apps you want than to fill your watch with dross.
How to delete apps on an Apple Watch to save space for updates and new apps
Dave Johnson May 4, 2021
- You can delete apps on an Apple Watch from your iPhone’s Watch app, or through the Watch’s app screen.
- Deleting apps you don’t need from your Apple Watch is the best way to make space for updates.
- You can also disable automatic app installation, so new apps won’t be added to your Apple Watch automatically.
It’s convenient to have a lot of apps on your Apple Watch, but too many apps can overwhelm the tiny screen, making it hard to easily find or add what you need. It also takes up room that could be better used for updates or installing apps you need more.
If you want to reduce clutter, reclaim memory on your Watch, or simply eliminate apps that you never use, you can delete them from your iPhone or through the watch itself.
How to delete apps on an Apple Watch using your iPhone
1. On your iPhone, start the Watch app.2. Make sure you’re on the “My Watch” tab at the bottom of the screen, and then scroll down to the “Installed on Apple Watch” section in the main window.
3. Find an app you want to delete from your watch and then tap it. 4. On the app’s details page, turn off the app by swiping the button to the left. It’ll be immediately deleted from your watch.
Quick tip: If you delete one of the apps made by Apple that comes pre-installed on your iPhone — think Music, or Apple Store — it’ll be deleted from your Apple Watch automatically. You can always re-install it by downloading the app from the App Store.ADVERTISING
How to delete apps on an Apple Watch using your Watch
You can also delete apps from your watch directly from the watch face, though the process will vary slightly depending upon how your watch is configured.
To start, press the Digital Crown to display your apps.
- If your apps are set to list view, swipe the app you want to delete to the left and then tap the trash icon.
Swipe the app you want to delete. Dave Johnson/Insider
- If your apps are displayed in grid view, tap and hold an app icon until the screen starts to jiggle. Find the app you want to delete and then tap the “X” to remove it.
Put your app list in “jiggle mode” to delete it. Dave Johnson/Insider
How to turn off automatic app installation
By default, when you install a new app on your iPhone that has a companion Apple Watch app, that app gets automatically installed on your watch.
This is how your watch may get cluttered with apps and begin to run low on memory. You can disable this feature so new apps aren’t automatically installed.
- On your iPhone, start the Watch app.
- Make sure you’re on the “My Watch” tab and then tap “General.”
- Turn off Automatic App Install by swiping the button to the left.
You can disable your iPhone’s proclivity for automatically installing apps on your watch. Dave Johnson/Insider