AND THE TOMATO GOES TO…
Welcome to RT’s 22nd Annual Golden Tomato Awards, which honor the best-reviewed movies and TV shows of 2020 — and, for movies, a little bit of 2021. Like many awards bodies, we decided to push back eligibility for our film categories to February 2021 to include movies released in the expanded “awards season” window that extended into the first months of this year due to the pandemic. What hasn’t changed this year? The awesome quality of titles you’ll find herein. From the biggest Hollywood hits to the most provocative indies, we’ve got the films and TV shows that won the critics’ hearts — and probably inspired you as well.
You’ll have to click thru to see their best-reviewed and fan favorite movies and TV shows.
HOW IT WORKS
- The movie rankings represent the most up-to-date Tomatometer scores as of February 28, 2021. The season and TV movie rankings represent the most up-to-date Tomatometer scores as of December 31, 2020.
- All the lists on the Golden Tomato Awards are ordered by Adjusted Score, which is a weighted formula that compensates for the variation in the number of reviews when comparing movies or TV shows.
- Limited releases are defined as opening in fewer than 600 theaters at initial release, or as virtual cinema. Platform releases, or movies initially released in fewer than 600 theaters that later expand, are categorized as Wide Release.
- Movies are eligible for the United Kingdom and Australia awards when at least four of these requirements are met: country of production company, country where the film is set, filming location, writer nationality, director nationality, cast nationality.
- Foreign releases are defined as non-English language films.
- In order to qualify for a Golden Tomato Award, a movie must have been released in the United States between January 1, 2020 and February 28 2021, and it must have at least 40 reviews. All eligible seasons and TV movies must have premiered in the 2020 calendar year, and have a minimum of 20 reviews from different critics for the season or its episodes. All contenders need to have at least 5 reviews by Top Critics.