This is a super high calorie version of mac and cheese but looks yummy. Most of us will find it essential to substitute to avoid allocating half our day’s calories to one dish. Have fun.
Baked Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe was given to me by my friend Katie. It’s a longtime favorite in her family. By Jody
prep: 15 mins cook: 1 hr total: 1 hr 15 mins Servings: 6 Yield: 6 servings Nutrition Info
- 2 ½ cups elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers, crushed
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Step 2 Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the macaroni, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Step 3 Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Step 4 Turn off heat and stir in Cheddar cheese until the cheese is melted. Add the macaroni and stir to coat. Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Mix the 1/4 remaining cup melted butter and crushed crackers together in a bowl; scatter the cracker mixture evenly over the macaroni mixture.
- Step 5 Bake in preheated oven until golden brown on top, about 45 minutes.
Per Serving: 810 calories; protein 32.4g 65% DV; carbohydrates 57.3g 19% DV; fat 49.9g 77% DV; cholesterol 133.1mg 44% DV; sodium 1011.5mg 41% DV. Full Nutrition